How To Use A Ps4 Dualshock 4 To Play Pc Games
- By Grant Brunner on May 28, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Back when Sony first announced that the DualShock 4 would work with Windows, PC gamers across the internet cheered in unison. Unfortunately, its not exactly the plug-and-play solution we had hoped for. While its true that the PS4s controller is recognized by Windows right out of the box, existing games dont automatically work with the gamepad. Thankfully, there is an application available that maps the DualShock 4s controls directly to Microsofts XInput API effectively tricking games into thinking youre using an Xbox 360 controller.
To get started, head on over to the InputMapper website, and . From here, simply run the installer, and agree to the terms and conditions. Once everything is finished, connect your DualShock 4 to your PC over USB or Bluetooth. Keep in mind, the USB method is much more reliable. The wireless connection method is infamously flakey on PC, and it seems to depend heavily on your chipset and drivers. If youre having issues, default to the USB connection, and close out all other applications.
If youd like to customize your experience a bit, you can go into the Profiles pane, and youll be brought to a window filled with buttons and sliders. Here, youll be able to change the color of the light bar, remap your buttons, tweak the rumble settings, and even set-up custom macros.
Connect Ps4 Controller Via Bluetooth
This is another great way to connect your PlayStation 4 DUALSHOCK controller with a PC. For this, the only requirement is to have a Bluetooth connection. Most laptops come pre-loaded with Bluetooth hardware. If youre using a desktop PC, you might have to check your motherboard manufacturing site.
- Press PS and button until you see the blinking light on the controller
- The flashing light bar means that the pairing mode is activated
- Open Bluetooth connection on your PC and search for nearby devices
- Choose Wireless controller from the Bluetooth setting
- The PC and controller will automatically connect via Bluetooth connection
- Once the controller is connected, the flashing light will stop
Does Xpadder Work With Ps4 Controller
To download Xpadder new version you can simply search for it on a browser and then download it using any trusted website. To assign controls to your controller using Xpadder 5.8, connect the controller to your PC. The software will automatically recognize the controller if it is a compatible controller.
You May Like: How To Pair Airpods To Ps4
How To Use The Ps4 Dualshock Controller In Steam
Steam, the popular storefront and game launcher, released an update that allows you to use the PS4 DualShock controller on your PC when running the application.
It’s easy for you to plug in the Dualshock 4 controller and control your PC games. You can control the TV-friendly Big Picture Mode of Steam using the DualShock 4, and your games will now display PS4 button prompts in-game.
To use the PS4 DualShock controller on your PC in Steam, load up Steam and check for updates, then once the latest update has installed, plug in your DualShock 4 and you’ll be good to go!
Unfortunately, this solution doesnt work very well for everyone, so to find out how to use a PS4 DualShock controller on your PC without using Steam, read on below.
Connect Via Ds4 Windows Utility
If you want to use the wired controller with a non-Steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your PC,; go to DS4Windows.com. Click “Download Now.”
2. You’ll be redirected to Github. Find and click the DS4Windows.zip file, and then download it onto your computer.
3. Find the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, and then double-click “DS4Updater” and click “Extract All.”;
4. Pick a location for the files to be extracted to it should be a location that you can find easily.
5. Once extracted, open the location you picked and double-click “DS4Windows.” If you’re asked to confirm that you want to run the program, click “Run.”
6. You’ll be asked where you want to save the program’s files. If you don’t care where they go, pick “Appdata” if you want to be able to move them around, pick “Program Folder” and select a location.
7. Once you’ve picked a spot to save the files, click “Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver” and let the program install its files. If you’re asked whether you’d like to install the software, click “Install.”
You can now use the PS4 controller on your PC with a micro-USB cable, although you may need to restart your computer first.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Ps4 Remote To Pc
Is Fortnite Better On Keyboard Or Controller
The bottom line The choice of what controller you use boils down to you and what you want to get out of the game. If youre serious about getting good at Fortnite and you play on PC, then the keyboard and mouse combo has the advantage. At the same time, nothing beats playing on a device youre comfortable using.
Connect Dualshock 4 Or Dualsense To Mac Via Bluetooth
One caveat is that DualSense isn’t necessarily supported in all PC games. The easiest solution for this is to simply play games through Steam when using DualSense, as Valve has already done the work to make DualSense controllers recognized. Make sure to go into Big Picture mode to configure your controller, if you want to customize the layout.
If you want to use your controller with your PlayStation again, the easiest way is to simply connect it manually with a USB cable and press the PS button. That will automatically pair the controller.
More Tech Picks From GameSpot
Read Also: How To Turn Off Parental Control Ps4
Making Your Ps4 Controller Discoverable
Pair your DualShock4 controller with your Bluetooth dongle by making your PS4 controller discoverable. To do this, press the;and the;PlayStation;button for three seconds, or until the light bar at the top of the controller shows a double blinking pattern.
Note:;if the PS4 system your controller is synced to is still plugged up, then your controller might try to connect to it if you press the PS button.
Connect Your Ps4 Controller Via Usb
The simplest way to connect your controller to your Windows computer is to use a micro-USB cable. There are upsides of doing this. Once you connect it to your controller and your computer, you need no more further configuration. And the cable is easy to find a regular micro-USB cable like the one used for modern smartphones will work.
To use a micro-USB cable to connect your controller and your PC:
1) Plug the smaller end of your micro-USB cable into the port on the front side of your controller .
2);Plug the bigger end of your micro-USB cable into a USB port on your computer.
3);The cable connection is completed. You can go to the next step. .
Also Check: How Much Is Fortnite On Ps4
What Pc Games Are Compatible With Ps4 Controller
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. November 15, 2019. PC. XONE.
- Sayonara Wild Hearts. September 19, 2019. MAC. PC.
- Hardcore Mecha. June 26, 2019. PC. PS4.
- Void Bastards. May 29, 2019. PC. XONE.
- HyperParasite. April 3, 2019. PC. XONE.
- Trials Rising. February 26, 2019. PC. XONE.
- God Eater 3. February 7, 2019. PC. PS4.
- Hitman 2. November 9, 2018. PC. XONE.
How To Wireless Connect A Ps4 Controller To Steam
If you hold down the PS and buttons simultaneously on your controller, your PC might automatically detect it via Bluetooth. If it doesn’t, you might need a PS4 DualShock 4 wireless dongle to play wirelessly. Official ones can be purchased from Sony, or you can find one made by another manufacturer.
To wirelessly pair the PS4 controller with Steam:
Plug the PS4 Bluetooth dongle into your computer’s USB port.
Simultaneously hold the PS and buttons on the controller until the light on top starts flashing.
When the controller appears in the device list, press the X button on the controller to activate it.
Press the button on the end of the dongle. It should also start flashing.
Also Check: How Long Does Ps4 Controller Take To Charge
Solution : Hard Reset Ps4 Controller
If the previous method didnt fix PS4 controller wont connect to PC issue, then resetting the controller may help you to get past this problem. So, here is a quick guide on how can you reset the PS4 controller:
- Turn off PS4.
- Disconnect your internet.
- Now, check out the reset button on the controller, it should be at the backside of the controller.
- Press and hold the reset button for at least 5 seconds.
- Next, connect your PS4 to the DS4 controller using the USB cable.
- Turn on your PS4& press the PS button to resync the controller.
- Once you hear the beep sound, it means the controller is now connected to the console.
Connect Your Ps4 Controller Using Usb
Connecting via USB is the easiest method to connect your PS4 controller to your PC.
It needs no complicated configurations, and all you need is a regular micro-USB cable to get started.; To connect the PS4 controller to your PC using a micro-USB cable, you need to plug the cable into both your controller and your PCs USB drive. Yeah, its that simple.
You are ready to start using your wired PS4 controller on your Windows PC.
Read Also: How To Change Ps4 Username
Can A Ps4 Controller Be Used To Play Non
Your PS4 DualShock 4 controller can also be used to play games outside Steam client. This is where the DS4Windows comes handy as it can trick Windows 10 OS that youre using an Xbox controller even when what you have is a DualShock 4 controller.;
Simply follow the instructions provided above on how to download, install, and configure DS4Windows.
How To Use A Ps4 Controller On Madden 22 On Xbox Game Pass For Pc
If youre playing the Xbox Game Pass version of Madden 22 via EA Play, youll need to install DS4Windows or similar software in order for the launcher to detect the controller and use it on the game. This software is safe to use and does not take much in terms of resources in order to work. It works by ensuring that your PC has all the right drivers to communicate with the PS4 controller while youre playing the game. It can also be used if you want to use other third party controllers and not just the PS4.
Below are the steps that you must do in order to install DS4Windows on your PC:
Keep in mind that DS4Windows software must be open while youre using your PS4 controller. If the software has crashed, or if you closed it, your PS4 controller will also become unusable by your Xbox Game Pass app.;
Read Also: How To Get Minecraft Mods On Ps4
How Do I Play Warzone On Pc With Ps4 Controller Bluetooth
How to Use a Controller in Call Of Duty Warzone on PC
Games I Can Use My Ps4 Controller On Pc
- Restart your computer.
- Before moving to the next step, ensure your DS4 controller has a 10% or more battery.
- Go to the Windows Search box and type control panel.
- Click on the Control Panel.
- Select View devices and printers.
- Right-click on the Bluetooth PS4 controller and select the Remove device option.
- Finally, click on the Yes.
Now moving forward, install the DS4Windows app & pair it with the controller.
- First, download the DS4Windows app on your PC.
- After downloading it, run the extension file to install it on your device.
- Open the Settings and enablethe Hide DS4 controller option.
- Click on the Controller/Driver Setup to turn it into blue.
- Now, minimize the Settings window.
- Navigate to the Manage Bluetooth Device.
- Press & hold the and PS button .
- Next, click on the option that appears in the list to connect to the DS4 controller.
Read Also: How Do I Gameshare On Ps4
How To Use A Ps4 Controller With Any Pc Game
As mentioned above, although the DualShock 4 has Windows compatibility, game developers have to specifically add support for it, or it wont work. Alas, there is light at the end of the tunnel as theres an application available that will map the DualShock 4 controls directly to Microsofts XInput API.
The end result is that games are tricked into thinking youre using an Xbox 360 controller, and youll be free to play as many games with your DualShock 4 controller as your heart desires.
So, what is this application and how do you use it? Well
1) Download and install InputMapper. The first step is to head over to the InputMapper website, download the latest version of the tool and install it on your PC.
2) Connect your DualShock 4 controller. Once youve installed InputMapper, the next step is to connect your controller to your PC. You can do this via a USB connection or via Bluetooth, but its worth bearing in mind that a Bluetooth connection isnt as stable as a wired one.
However, if youre adamant on connecting via Bluetooth, just hold the Share button and PlayStation button on the controller until the light flashes to enter pairing mode, then pair with it on your PC.
Its worth noting that you may encounter the odd game here and there that has compatibility issues. If this issue arises, head into the Settings menu of InputMapper and toggle the checkbox labelled Use Exclusive Mode.
How To Configure In
You should now be able to play most Steam games with your PS4 controller, but you can further customize how your controller works for specific games. Indeed, this step may be necessary for games that primarily rely on keyboard inputs.
To edit in-game controller settings, press the PS button on the center of the controller. From the resulting screen, you can map specific keyboard actions to your controller buttons. Most modern games should display the appropriate PlayStation button configuration, but some older games may display an Xbox controller instead. Nonetheless, you should be able to figure out the button mapping and use your PS4 controller with no issues.
When you’re finished playing, you should manually power down the controller. Simply hold down the PS button for 7-10 seconds.
You May Like: How To Use Ps4 Controller On Xbox
Use Official Sony Dualshock 4 Usb Wireless Adaptor
Sony DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptorenables the DualShock 4 Controller to wirelessly connect to your PC or Mac. After connecting the adapter to the USB port of a Windows PC or Mac, you can connect the DualShock 4 wirelessly via Bluetooth. With this adaptor, you will utilize every feature of DualShock 4, including buttons, analog sticks, touchpad, light bar, motion sensors, vibration and stereo headset jack, as long as the application supports these features.;
How To Use A Ps4/ps5 Controller On Pc
You can play PlayStation ports and PC exclusives alike with your DualShock 4 or DualSense controllers.
Gaming on PC is easier than ever, in part because big console manufacturers like Sony and Microsoft have opened up their own controller options to the platform. If you prefer the familiar feeling of a Sony controller like PS4’s DualShock 4 or PS5’s DualSense, you can easily pair those with your PC to play games. And since some Sony games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding are hitting PC, you can play them on their intended controller.
The process is simple. Essentially, you’ll turn on pairing for your controller and then discover it in your PC’s Bluetooth menu. If the controller has previously been paired with a PlayStation, you may need to unplug the console or otherwise unpair the controller so that the activation process doesn’t start up the PlayStation instead. Just use the following steps:
Read Also: How To Pair Ps4 Remote
How To Connect Ps4 Controller To Steam
Before you start using your PS4 controller with Steam, there are some preliminary actions you should take, including making sure you have the latest version of the Steam client. Follow these steps:
Make sure any nearby PlayStation 4 consoles are unplugged. Otherwise, the controller might try to sync with the console instead of your computer.
Launch Steam on your PC.
Select Steam in the top-left corner of the window to open a dropdown menu, then select Check for Steam Client Updates.
When Steam relaunches, plug your PS4 controller into a USB port on your PC.
In the Steam client window, select View > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings.
You should see your controller under Detected Controllers. Select the box beside PS4 Configuration Support. From this screen, you can give your controller a name, change the light’s color atop the controller, and toggle the rumble feature on or off.
If Steam isn’t detecting your controller, double-check the USB cable connection. Unplugging the controller and plugging it back in sometimes fixes the problem.
Select Submit to save your changes.