What Does The Nat Type Mean
Network Address Translation is the process of deciphering the IP address of every device that is connected to a network. A NAT type is used to set a limit for the number of IP addresses of all the devices, that can be used for a network connection.
This reduces network security threats and handles incoming traffic by hiding the IP address if your PS4 is connected to a network with a private IP address.
When the network is connected from the inside, it makes it easier to join an online game server, open messages, and streaming content over the internet. But when the network comes from the outside, the router may not recognize the internal IP address that is created for the PS4.
Some examples of external connections are joining online game sessions or in-game text and voice chat, and other activities you do with your friends.
What Are Nat Types
Before we get into changing our NAT Type, we need to know what these are. There are essentially three types of NAT.
- Type 1 : In this case, youre directly connected to the internet, which means your chances of dropping a connection are at the minimum. You also get the best speeds and the minimum lag while connecting to all users regardless of their NAT type. However, this type typically indicates your connection is less secure.
- Type 2 : Your PS4 will connect to the internet using a router here, which means you might get some lag and lower speeds, but your connection will be secure, and youd still be able to connect to most users.
- Type 3 : This NAT Type prioritises security above anything else and ends up giving you the most headache. Youll only be able to connect to players with an open NAT type, and there will be frequent connection drops.
If youre on Type 3 by default, we highly recommend you change your NAT to Type 2. Type 1 is a bit of a security concern, so you might want to change that one as well.
Also read: How to delete PS4 messages?
How To Change Your Nat Type On Ps4 How Do I Check My Current Nat Type
If you think changing your NAT type could be the solution to your connection issues on your PS4, then youll first need to know which NAT type youre on in the first place. Navigate to settings, then into network, and then select View Connection Status. This will give you a full breakdown of your network on your PS4, and at the bottom of the list will be your NAT type.
If youre NAT type is currently sitting at Type 3, then changing your NAT type could be the solution youre looking for. If you are sitting at Type 2 or Type 1, then you may not have to change it, and your connection issues could be from elsewhere. As previously mentioned, having your PS4 NAT type being Type 1 should be preventing you from having any NAT type related issues at all, so theres no need to change your NAT type if you find yourself on Type 1 for connection reasons at least, though you could for security purposes.
If youre currently sitting at Type 2, and youve eliminated all other possibilities for why your connection is spotty or disconnecting frequently, then go ahead and change your NAT type. That being said, anyone sitting at Type 1 or 2, changing your NAT type may not be the thing that fixes your issues, so only proceed if you strongly feel like this will fix any issues youre currently facing.
Recommended Reading: How To Resync Ps4 Controller
Fix Your Ps4 Connectivity Issues And Boost Your Network Speed
Sometimes your PlayStation 4 might encounter some connectivity issues when you are playing a multiplayer game you might frequently disconnect from your gaming sessions, or you are suffering from high ping rate. If you have checked your network connection and its fine, it may be that there are problems with your PS4 NAT Type setting. In fact, changing NAT Type can be an effective method to improve your PS4 network status.
This article shows you what NAT Type is, where you can view its status, and how you can change it for better PS4 network connection.
What Is Nat And How Does It Work
NAT stands for Network Address Translation and it is a service that routers use to convert the private IP address of a device to the public IP address and vice versa.
For example, when you want to access a video from YouTube, your network first sends the data packets to your router. So, here, the NAT service changes the local IP address of your laptop to the public IP address.
After that, the router will send the modified packages to the YouTube server. The YouTube server returns those packets to the router first and then the NAT service again changes the public IP address to the local IP address.
This way, the data packages will return to the correct laptop instead of any other laptop and thats how the internet keeps working the way it is today.
You May Like: How To Stream Twitch From Ps4
Common Questions Asked On How To Change Nat Type On Ps4
How to change nat type on ps4?
Just follow the guidelines stated above and then you can change your PS4 nat type in no time. To change the Nat type you can follow these basic points:
How to change nat type to open on ps4?
To make NAT type open just enable DMZ on the router but this is not recommended as it may cause security risk in the network. This is how to change nat type to open on ps4.
How to change nat type on ps4 black ops 3?
Each game needs certain ps4 ports to open in order to run them for black ops 3 the port is 1935.
How to change NAT type on mobile Hotspot PS4?
There are certain apps that may enable DMZ on the router but still, they are not verified. The good thing will be to open NAT type via PC.
What NAT type is best for ps4?
The best NAT type of PS4 is certainly NAT 1 but it is not recommended as per security reasons so the other best alternative is NAT 2 which allows all the port of PS4 to be open and running.
How do I get an open NAT type?
You can open the NAT type via enabling DMZ on your router option.
How to fix the Nat type ps4 party issue?
You might look at our article above on How to Change Nat Type On PS4 and see how to get nat type 2 on ps4 or how to get nat type 1 on ps4 as these Nat will help to solve nat type issues.
How to get ps4 nat type 2 on ps4?
You can enable the port on the router to get ps4 nat type 2.
What If Using Dmz Doesnt Work
Looking through the various forums on this, we did find some people who claimed to have already tried the DMZ method and found this didnt manage to get them onto Open NAT.
This is slightly strange as using DMZ should in theory open your console fully up to the internet and automatically place it on Open NAT. It is a pretty universal setting and should work in the same way across all routers.
However, here are some things to try if you find that using DMZ doesnt seem to deliver NAT Type 1 for your PS4:
- Make sure you check your NAT Type in the PS4 consoles connection settings screen and not an in game NAT Type checker, since some games will not correctly show the current NAT Type you are on even if you change it.
- If you are in some kind of unique network environment that isnt quite the same as a private residence, like a university campus or a military barracks, their networks can sometimes be configured in a certain way that it is difficult to get off NAT Type 2 or 3. Speak to your network administrator to try and sort something out.
- Contact your ISP to make sure they are not using security settings that prevent you getting off NAT Type 2 or 3. Also ask for a new router if your current one is old.
- Make sure you save all settings and reboot your router and PS4 once you configure DMZ to allow the settings to take full effect.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Ps4 Controller On Dolphin
How To Change The Nat Type In Ps4
The biggest issue with online gaming can be random connection drops. Its amazing when it works, but when it doesnt, what you get is a total nightmare that ends up ruining the entire experience.
A lot of these disconnections have to do with your Network Address Translation or NAT type. This basically translates the IP addresses of all the devices in your home into the one public IP your router has.
In this article, we explain how you can change the NAT type on your PS4 using either DMZ host or Port Forwarding and hopefully get rid of any connection drops.
Also read: How to remove card details from PS4?
Putting The Ps4 To Dmz
DMZ is a network that sits on the edge between secure and insecure . This means that your device will be able to receive connections from the outside, but will remain prone to intruders and data theft.
Follow these steps to put the console in the DMZ:
You May Like: How To Remove Parental Controls On Ps4
Solution : Forwarding Ports For Ps4
Here are the steps to port forward in PS4 for changing NAT type.
How To Port Forward
- Look for a port forward tab listed on either the left or the right column of the page. Usually, it is located under the Advanced Tab.
- Now just name your port forwards in the sense of which one you are forwarding ports for . After doing the port forwarding for your respective platform, .
- And you should be good to go! Go in-game and check if the NAT Type is open or not.
- Note that some ISPs will not allow client port forwarding directly, so you need to give them a call and take their help in forwarding the ports.
If you are having a tough time forwarding ports, or you are confused, follow this link on how to forward ports.
Don’t Miss: Can You Share Playstation Plus
How To Port Forward Ps4
The steps you need to take to enable port forwarding on your PS4 might slightly vary depending on the brand of your router. However, the basic principle is the same.
Lets start with your PS4:
Now you can open ports on your router for PS4:
Opening Forward Ports To Your Ps:
- Once more youll first want to reference your routers manual to find where you can open forward ports. They could be listed under subtitles such as Port Forwarding, Virtual Servers or simply just Applications. Every router will have their own UI layout, which is why having a manual beside you should you need it is extremely handy.
- Once youve found the page on which you can start adding forwarding ports, type in these numbers here, all of which have been recommended by Sony for players attempting this fix. The numbers are: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480.
- As you enter in these numbers to open up forwarding ports, make sure to name each of them and assign them to the same IP address you wrote down from your PS4s network settings view connection status screen.
- Save and apply your settings once you are done, and then check to see if your NAT type has changed and your connection improved.
So that is how you can change your NAT type on your PS4. Make sure to be careful should you opt for the DMZ route, and to do what you can to limit the possibility of online attacks.
Don’t Miss: Ps4 Make Primary
Playstation 4 Shows Nat Type As Strict Or Moderate
PlayStation 4 shows NAT type as strict or moderate
If you are unable to join games on your PS4 or communicate with friends through you might have a Network Address Translation issue. If you do have a NAT error you will see an indicator on your Network Settings screen or possibly on your dashboard depending on your personal settings.
To find your NAT type and test your connection: Go to PS4 Settings> Network> Set Up Internet Connection
USelect the method your connecting to the internet, via Wireless or Wired connection.
Do Not Use as for Proxy Server
Wait for it to complete. When you see Internet settings updated, select Test Internet Connection.
Youll see your PS4 Internet connection and know the NAT Type.
- NAT Type 1 You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled. You shouldnt run into any issues whilst gaming, but this may cause security issues.
- NAT Type 2 Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldnt run into any issues.
- NAT Type 3 You may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.
Choose your brand of router:
How To Get Open Nat Type In Ps4
If you play online games with your friends, like Black Ops 3, Black Ops 4, Modern Warfare, Cold War, and Warzone on PS4, then you have often faced internet connection problems. So, when you turn to the internet to get its solution, you might have seen the term NAT Type.
Today, we will get into the details of NAT and its types. We will also discuss how to get open NAT Type in PS4 here.
Side Note: If youre in a hurry and you already know about NAT and its types, then you can directly get to the steps of how to have open NAT type PS4.
Also Check: How Many Games Can A 1tb Ps4 Hold
Which Nat Type Should You Use On Your Ps5
Ideally, everything should work just fine with NAT Type 2. If youre still having connection issues even when NAT Type 2 is selected, you can try your luck with NAT Type 1.
Using NAT Type 1, as long as it fixes your connection issues, is nothing to be scared of, but try reverting back to NAT Type 2 once a while since the added level of security will always be nice to have.
If reverting back to NAT Type 2 causes your connectivity problems to come back, then you should stick to using NAT Type 1.
Configure Port Forwarding On Your Ps4 Router
The last method to change your PS4 NAT type is not a guaranteed fix, but it can switch to a different NAT type for your PS4s network connection. You will have to set custom ports or virtual servers and use these ports to connect to the PS4 and host the network.
Use these steps to forward specific ports to the network router.
Save these changes in the router panel and take a look at the PS4 network settings.
These are the steps to change your PS4 NAT type with the help of your computer. There is one more method allotting your network a static IP address. We havent included the steps to this since it is a highly unstable process. These steps will be very helpful when you are trying to solve PS4 network issues like the double NAT issue, NAT type failed error, trouble connecting to a network, and eliminate unwanted disconnections. Make sure you choose the NAT type that suits your needs. Happy Online Gaming!
You May Like: Sims 4 Ps4 Money Cheat
What Does Nat Type Failed Mean
PlayStations NAT Type error message
NAT Type failed is Sonys default message for any networking error on the PlayStation 4. Typically, this means that your router was unable to perform NAT on your PlayStations outgoing connection.
To fix the NAT Type failed error message you can manually setup your PlayStations connection to the internet.
To do this, get your PS4 IP address by navigating to Settings > Network > View Connection Status.
Then obtain your networks IP address, default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS Server. This can be found by searching cmd in a Windows device and selecting command prompt. Then type in ipconfig/all to view the necessary network information.
If you prefer MacOS go to System Preferences > Network. Select your active connection and click Advanced. Locate the TCP/IP button and the required information should appear.
On your PS4, select Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection and choose Custom. Input all the information you collected in the previous steps.
You will now be assigned a NAT Type.