Install The Ps4 Software
Now that the new hard drive is inside your PS4, you need to install the software which is on your USB drive. Plug in your USB drive and all cables into your PS4. Press and hold the power button for about 7 seconds until you hear a beep for the second time. Your PS4 will now boot into Safe Mode.
All you need to do now is to select option number 7 Initialise PS4 and press X. This will trigger the installation of the system software on your hard drive.
Once the installation is finished your PS4 will start up just like it did the very first time. Complete the steps of the initial setup and check out your new increased disk space.
How To Upgrade Sony Ps4 Hard Drive Without Reinstallation
“Hey there, do you know how to upgrade or change the Sony PS4 hard drive to a bigger one? My hard drive is merely full and I’m thinking to upgrade it to a bigger drive so to save more games on it. But I don’t want to reinstall any files or re-download any game packs. Do you know how to solve the problem?“
Are you having a similar problem in your PS4 hard drive? Don’t worry when your game player hard drive is becoming full and here in this article, we’ll provide you an easy and simple method to guide you to replace and upgrade Sony PS4 hard drive to a bigger one without reinstallation. And of course, no game files or data will lose.
|Visit the PS4 System Software Update page. Follow the instructions to download and install the update…Full steps|
|5. Restore the PS4 Backups||Go to “Settings > System > Back Up and Restore”. Select the “Restore PS4” option…Full steps|
Which Hard Drive To Get For Your Playstation 4
Before I give you specific recommendations you should know some basics about hard drives so that youre able to get the most suitable one based on your preferences.
There are several types of drives you could get to replace your PS4s:
- HDD: The good old Hard Disk Drive most people have at home already.
- SSD: The Solid State Drive which uses semiconductor chips to store data instead of a disk. SSDs perform much better than HDDs and are the new standard for new notebook models.
- SSHD: This abbreviation stands for solid state hybrid drive. As the name suggests, this type of drive consists of a normal HDD with a small SSD storage used primarily for cached data.
Since the PS4 supports the SATA II interface, I suggest that you look for such a drive instead of a SATA III one. If you already have a SATA III drive, you can also use that one but you wont get a better performance than with SATA II.
Which type of drive should you get? Well, it all depends on what you prefer. If you dont want to spend a lot of cash, Id get a normal HDD. Want the best performance and youre ready to settle for a smaller storage size, then get an SSD. An SSHD is be a good compromise which doesnt cost that much more than an HDD.
Don’t Miss: Can You Share Playstation Plus
Ps4 Hard Drive Upgrade Minitool Shadowmaker
First of all, we will show you the first method to upgrade your PS4 hard drive. To upgrade PS4 hard drive without data loss, you can take a piece of third-party software. Thus, MiniTool ShadowMaker is strongly recommended.
MiniTool ShadowMaker can help you to upgrade your PS4 hard drive without data loss with its Clone Disk feature.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is also a piece of file sync software to sync your files to two or more locations so as to keep your data safe.
So, as for PS4 hard drive replacement, MiniTool ShadowMaker is capable. You can download MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial from the following button to try upgrading PS4 hard drive. The Trial edition can be used for free within 30 days.
We will show you how to upgrade PS4 hard drive with a step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Connect the PS4 hard drives to your computer
Step 2: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
Step 3: Choose Clone Disk feature
Step 4: Choose the disk clone source
Step 5: Choose a target disk
Six: Swap The Hard Drives And Replace
Once you’ve freed up the original hard drive, it’s simply a case of putting your new hard disk or SSD inside, then reversing the process you’ve just performed. So put those four screws in the sides, get the caddy back in the PS4, fasten it in place with the large screw and put the shiny plastic HDD cover back on the PS4.
If you have the PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro, the process will be the same. Place the hard drive or SSD into the caddy, secure, then slot it back into the Slim or Pro console, screw it in, and replace the plastic cover.
If the hard drive or SSD doesn’t fit, are you sure you checked it was a 9.5mm-tall or less 2.5-inch SATA drive before buying?
Should the process go as swimmingly as it went with us, you should be done within 15 minutes.
Also Check: Forgot Ps4 System Restriction Passcode
Lets See In Detail About The Hard Drive Change In Ps4
- Refer to the steps and change the hard drive in PS4, & PS4 pro carefully and perform the same procedure. The hard drive replacement method in PS4 & PS4 pro device very easy, choose the replacement method of your PlayStation model, and execute the replacement process as per the instruction.
- The Screwdriver is used to remove all the screws from the PlayStation. Start the replacement by powering off your PS4. Ensure that you have unplugged all the cables from the power cord and wall outlet.
- Now, move the HDD bay cover to the left of the PlayStation. The hard disk drive (HDD is used to control the position, reading and writing of the hard disk. The HDD placed in the top left portion of the console. On the front left side of the PS4, unscrew the single 5mm Phillips head #1 screw, and remove the hard drive.
- Slide the hard drive forward to separate it from the PlayStation. There are two interchangeable screws on the opposite side of the system. Remove all the four screws from the hard drive and then separate the hard drive from the sleeve.
- In PS4 pro, flip the top of it to begin the replacement. From the PlayStation, remove all the plastic covers in the drive bay.
What Hard Drive Should I Choose For My Ps4 Or Ps4 Pro
The standard PS4 hard drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM SATA II hard dri, whereas the PS4 Pro includes a 1TB drive. You can replace either hard drive with any hard drive that complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB. Given that HDD prices have come down significantly, you should definitely consider a drive that gives you plenty of space, such as a 2TB version. Replacing your hard drive with a compatible device does not void your PS4’s warranty. You can also upgrade to a faster 7200 RPM SATA II hard drive. Note that SATA II is sometimes called SATA/300 or SATA 3.0 GBps. A newer SATA III drive will work fine in the PS4, but you won’t get the speed benefit as it’ll operate at SATA II speeds. For more details on compatible hard drives, see: PS4 Third-Party Hard Drive Solutions. Some popular hard drives compatible with PlayStation 4 are:
Note that the below pictures show the installation for the Samsung Seagate Momentus 2TB drive, but the drives all look very similar and the process is the same.
With the addition of external HDD support, you can now use any USB 3.0 HDD with a minimum of 250 GB and a max of 8TB. There is now a large amount of options to expand your PS4 Storage. Here are some of 2018’s best external Hard Drive options for the PS4 and PS4 Pro:
- WD My Passport 4TB Portable Hard Drive
- Samsung SSD T5 500GB
- WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive
Recommended Reading: Playstation Backup Codes
Best Ps3 External Hard Drive
Another way to enlarge PS3 storage space is adding a PS3 external hard drive, which is also the easiest way. You just need to buy a PS3 external hard drive, format it to FAT32 , and then connect it to your PS3 console.
Although PS3 consoles come with a USB 2.0 interface , I suggest you should buy an external hard drive with USB 3.0 interface , which is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and performs ten times faster than USB 2.0 HDDs.
In addition, if you choose USB 3.0, you can use this drive in other occasions without worry about speed.
Here I recommend two PS3 external hard drives to you.
Lowest Price Guarantee Does Not Apply To:
- Repair Prices from auctions or retailers requiring memberships
- Prices from mobile repair providers, or any repair provider without a brick and mortar store front
- Repair services that uBreakiFix provides as an authorized service provider for an original equipment manufacturer unless the local competitor is also an authorized service provider for the same original equipment manufacturer
- Repair prices that are dependent on add-ons, other items, fees, or charges
- Bundle offers, instant rebates, mail-in offers, or offers that include financing
- Prices that require minimum purchases amount or quantity
- Repair prices that other retailers have listed as clearance, close out, liquidation, special hour/flash/limited quantity offers
- Repair prices that utilize damaged or used components
- Misprinted or inaccurate prices
Also Check: How Much Does A Ps4 Controller Cost At Gamestop
How To Replace Ps4 Hard Drive
Sony allows the PlayStation 4 to replace the hard drive with a larger model. Well show you how to do it.
Sonys PlayStation 4 is the most successful console of the current generation. It is no wonder since it offers a gigantic selection of games with a large mix of multi-platform and exclusive titles. Unfortunately, the word gigantic also applies more and more to the games themselves: Even when installing from a Blu-ray disc, modern games sometimes occupy several dozen gigabytes on the internal hard drive.
Games that you buy and install completely digitally via the PlayStation Network often take up even more space. An inglorious negative example is the current blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2, which occupies almost 100 gigabytes on the internal disk of the PS4. This memory quickly becomes scarce, especially with the older PS4 models, as they only offer 500 gigabytes of capacity. But even the more expensive top model,
But dont worry: it is comparatively easy to expand the internal storage of the PS4. Sony officially allows the installation of a larger plate in the PS4 without a loss of warranty. This works with all 2.5-inch hard drives with a maximum height of 9.5 millimetres. Corresponding models with capacities of 2 terabytes can double or even quadruple the available disk space.
Replacing Or Upgrading Your Ps4s Hard Drive
It is surprisingly easy to replace or upgrade your PS4s hard drive. The drive itself is a normal 2.5-inch hard drive, and you can replace it with any other 2.5-inch drive as long as its no taller than 9.5 millimeters and has a capacity of at least 160GB. Most modern 2.5-inch HDDs, and almost all SSDs, have a height of 9.5mm or less.
If youre looking for a large hard drive, the 1-terabyte Samsung Spinpoint M8 is a pretty safe bet. Samsung has announced a 2TB Spinpoint M9, but it hasnt yet hit the market. If you want an SSD, the 160GB minimum requirement means that youll probably be opting for either a 256GB or 512GB drive. Here in the ExtremeTech bunker, were partial to the Samsung 840 Pro .
A close-up of the PS4 hard drive caddy, showing the special screw engraved with the PlayStation symbols
With your new hard drive or SSD acquired, its now time to remove the old drive from your PS4. Lay the PS4 flat. Slide off the shiny section . The hard drive is right there, in a fairly normal-looking caddy. There is one screw with the iconic PlayStation button symbols unscrew it. Slide the drive caddy out, unscrew the screws holding the drive in, and then carefully pop the drive out. Screw your new drive in, slide the caddy in, and finally replace that fancy screw.
If you need help with upgrading or replacing your PS4 hard drive, the video embedded above can walk you through the process.
Clone Ps4 Hard Drive Faq
How do I transfer data from one PS4 hard drive to another?
To transfer data from one PS4 hard drive to another, you can take advantage of professional hard drive clone software.
For more detailed information, you can refer to the above part.
What hard drives are compatible with a PS4?
Here we list several best hard drives for PS4 in 2019.
Choosing The Best Hard Drive For Ps4
The next thing youve to think about at this point is how to choose the best internal hard drive upgrade for PS4. Although I have abridged the way for you and other readers and laid out the top 4 hard drive replacement options for PS4, you can still do that your own. You only need to understand how this selection is done and based on what standards.
The first thing you must look at is YOURSELF. Are you an average/lightweight PS4 player? Or do you consider yourself an enthusiast/power user?
If you consider yourself an enthusiasts who plays heavy, resource-demanding games, an SSD is the best PS4 HDD replacement for you. Otherwise, go for an SSHD, it offers a very decent performance boost with up to 2tb storage capacity.
Secondly, what do you not like in the PS4 stock hard drive? Is it its limited capacity? Or its the poor performance it offers? Or maybe both?
If you are content with the performance of the stock hard drive of PS4, yet you want additional storage space, you better go for a PS4 external hard drive. Otherwise, upgrading the internal HDD of PS4 offers a significant performance boost and a smoother gaming experience.
You can dive into more details on how to choose the best hard drive for PS4 by reading this post. But generally, here are the basic standards that will help you find the right hard drive for your PS4.
Also Check: How To Use Ps4 Controller On Dolphin
Ps4 Best Replacement Hard Drive Quick Picks
If you dont want to read the entire article, here are our top picks for the best playstation 4 hard drive upgrade.
The Oyen Digital Hard Disk Drive is an extraordinarily effective HDD that can add a little bit of extra speed for your loading times. While it may not be the best ps4 hard drive, it is perfect for anybody that wants to add some storage space and give their system a little speed boost. The best part is, it also comes with the tools necessary to complete your upgrade.
Here are some of the features of the Oyen Digital:
- 8-gigabyte flash drive for transferring your data from your old hard drive to your new hard drive
- Included screwdriver for removing the hard drive from your PlayStation
- 72000 revolution per minute spindle rate
Having a spindle rate that is higher than the original ps4 hard drives yields surprisingly good results. While a spindle rate of 7200 rpms will not offer that much extra speed than the regular 5400 spindle rate, you can certainly see some difference in loading times.
How To Upgrade Hard Drive For Ps4 Pro
- Turn off and unplug your PS4 Pro and place it, upside down, on a table or other flat surface.
- In order to access the hard drive, you first need to use your finger to remove the plastic covering all the way to the right on the back of the console.
- Once the plastic covering is removed, you should be able to see the hard drive mounting bracket, which is held in place by a screw.
- Use the screwdriver to remove the screw and pull the mounting bracket out. You should see four screws holding the hard drive in its mounting bracket.
- Remove all four with the screwdriver and pull the hard drive out of its mounting bracket. Then, insert the new hard drive.
- From here, you will go back through the steps in reverse. Replace the four screws to secure the hard drive into the mounting bracket. Reinsert the mounting bracket into the PS4 Pro, and replace the screw to secure it in place. Finally, put the plastic covering back in place.
Don’t Miss: How To Sign In To Playstation Network For Ps4