Do I Have To Take Apart My Xbox One Controller
For gamers, a common problem that they face while using a gaming controller is stuck or sticky buttons. Its hard to play games to their full extent when crucial buttons on the controller wont respond quickly enough. Luckily, this is an easy fix that any techie can complete with a few tools and some patience. Take our word for it, itll be much more convenient and affordable than going out and buying a brand new controller.
When Do You Need To Reset The Ps4 Controller
Many PS4 users would ask that when to decide to reset the PS4 controller? Is there any sign/situation that second this decision? The answer is YES.
You need to reset the PS4 controller when one of these signs appear:
- PS4 Controller does actually work but it behaves weirdly and doesnt work as it should .
- In the middle of playing your game or working on your application, the PS4 controller totally or partly stops responding, while the PS4 app/game you have run seems to be fine.
- There is a power issue with the PS4 controller, such as that the battery doesnt fully charge and it lasts less than 4 hours, or it doesnt charge at all.
- One of your two analog sticks start moving things onscreen when they shouldnt. Although the most likely cause of analog stick drift is dust, dirt and grime working its way into your controller, there are possibly some other reasons for this situation that can be fixed with a reset.
These are the situations that will impel you to seriously consider PS4 controller reset.
Now, lets learn here how to reset the PS4 controller and get it back working just like the time when you first used it.
Wiping Down The Controller
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Playstation To Hotel Wifi
Causes Of Ps4 Controller Drift
If your character or the camera keeps moving when you’re not touching the controller, the problem’s source is likely analog stick drift. PS4 controller drift can be due to one of two things:
- The analog stick is dirty.
- The analog stick or the potentiometer is damaged.
You can expect general wear-and-tear from frequent use. If cleaning the controller doesn’t fix the problem, you should look into getting your controller replaced or repaired before disassembling it.
How To Reset Ps4 Controller Soft Reset
In this section, we will show you how to soft reset the PS4 controller. A soft reset generally refers to turning a device or a computer off and then on again, which can flush out memory and correct many issues. In order to perform a PS4 controller reset, you need to reset the connection between the controller and the console. But to do this, you need to prepare a working PS4 controller. If not, you need to navigate to the hard reset part.
Now, we will show you how to soft reset a PS4 controller.
1. Login in your working PS4 controller and navigate to the Settings.
2. Then choose Device from the drop-down menu.
3. Next, select Bluetooth Devices.
4. Then you can see that all your PS4 controllers are listed here. Choose the abnormal one.
5. Then press Options button on your controller, at the front to the touchpad.
6. In the pop-up window, choose Forget device.
7. After that, you have forgotten the malfunctioning PS4 controller. Then you can choose to turn off PS4.
8. Use a USB cable to connect the inactive PS4 controller to your PC.
9. Then turn on it and wait for it to boot up.
10. Then log in it.
Once all steps are finished, you have reset the PS4 controller and some system issues may be resolved.
Recommended Reading: How To Use A Ps4 Controller On Project 64
What If Canned Air Doesnt Work
If canned air doesnt do the trick, its time for some troubleshooting. Analog sticks can sometimes drift in specific games, so test another one to make sure its not just happening in one game. If it is just one game, try either updating the software or, if possible, adjusting the controllers dead zone settings. It may be that a simple dead zone tweak can get rid of the problem.
Its also possible that theres an intermittent connection between your PS4 and DualShock 4 controller. Fortunately, this is a simple fix. All you need to do is press and hold the reset button on the back of the controller. After that, plug it back into the system and sync it. That should fix any wireless connection problems.
If neither of these do the trick, then your controller likely needs a deep cleaning. Canned air just wont cut it youll need to take it apart and clean out the joystick connections. This is an advanced fix, since the controller has many small parts and delicate cables. Still, it only requires a few basic tools as well as household items such as cotton swabs. To learn more about how to disassemble and clean a DualShock 4, check out this YouTube video from the crew at How-FixIt.
- PC / PS4 / PS5 / Xbox One / Xbox Series X
- Rating8Nintendo Switch / PC / PS4 / PS5 / Xbox One
Taking Apart The Ps4 Pro
Check out the video above for a quick breakdown, and join us for the text version of the process below:
- Start by popping off the hard drive cover on the upper left corner of the system’s backside. Only a single Phillips screw here. You’ll need to remove a few more screens before the hard drive is free from the caddy shackles.
- You’ll need to remove the warranty stickers at this point to go any further. Beneath these, you’ll find the security torque screws, which will require a special tool.
- Once you’ve pulled this panel up and slid it off, you’ll have a view of the motherboard’s backside protected by a large metal plate.
- Flip the system over and pop off the panel. No warranty stickers here just yet. From here, you can remove the power supply if you like and clean the fan without the need to void the warranty (assuming you haven’t opened the opposite side.
- With the power supply removed, you can flip the system back over and get to work removing the covering on the motherboard.
- You’ll notice the X-shaped bracket beneath the CPU shielding. Taking the motherboard out reveals that the thermal management include a a copper heat sink and pads for six chips on the motherboard.
- From here, you’ll need to remove the next metal plate that holds the heat pipe. Beneath that you’ll find the fan and optical drive.
Recommended Reading: How To Turn On Footsteps On Fortnite Ps4
How To Reset Ps4 Controller The Right Way
· Updated 14/05/2021
So, does your PS4 controller behave weirdly and youre thinking to replace it with a new one? Well, stop a moment please. You may not be aware that its possible to repair the PS4 controller by simply resetting it. This will fix many issues related to the functionality of the PS4 controller. But what if that doesnt work at all? Well, you simply need to dispose of it and get a new one.
What To Do When Your Ps4 Controller Doesn’t Charge
Test your USB cable on another device to confirm that it’s working.
Plug your USB cable into the DualShock and give it an inspection with the lightest touch.
When you remove the cable from your DualShock controller, give it a good inspection. Use the flashlight on your phone and shine it into the charging port. If the metal inside looks bent or warped, you can either attempt to bend it back into shape yourself, call upon a professional to do it for you, or replace the entire controller. We do not recommend attempting to bend the metal back into place yourself, as it might break the warranty of your device.
Regardless of whether or not the metal inside of your charging port looks OK, it might be dirty. If you are noticing a bit of dust or grime buildup, follow these next steps.
Do your best to knock all of the dust out of the DualShock, and don’t just knock it loose.
Grab a toothpick or a different type of thin needle.
Wrap a very slightly damp paper towel around the toothpick. You only need a very small amount. Less than a 1-inch square should do you just fine.
Don’t Miss: Playstation Controller Flashing White
Remove Controller’s Back Screws
Flip the PS4 controller over so that the back is facing you. Next, locate the four screws that are going to be removed as indicated by the red circles in the picture. Take your PH000 screwdriver and remove each screw by twisting the screw to the left until you are able to take it out. Once you have taken all screws out, you are ready for the next step.
Tip: place screws in a safe area that will keep them from getting lost .
How To Clean Your Ps4 Controller
With sweaty palms, crumbs, and a plague of dust, keeping your PlayStation 4 controller clean can be a chore. From sanitizing to cleaning out the gunk lodged in between the creases, were here to show you how to clean your PS4 controller.
Were going to cover cleaning the outside and inside of your controller. Although most jobs simply require an external wipe down, you may have to take apart your controller to fully clean it out. As a warning, you could break your controller if you need to open it up, so proceed at your own risk.
Don’t Miss: Minecraft Ps4 Microsoft Account
How To Open Up Your Ps4 Controller
Try These Before Resetting The Ps4 Controller
Before resetting the PS4 controller, carry out all the following actions:
If none has worked for you, you may now be sure that your PS4 controller must be reset.
Also Check: How To Remove Parental Controls On Ps4
How Do You Fix Analog Stick Drift On The Ps4
In most cases, you can fix analog stick drift on your PS4 controller without opening it up or sending it off to be repaired. The best method is to give it a good clean using a can of compressed air. So once youve got this piece of equipment, follow these simple steps:
Hopefully your controller will now be working just fine. But if it isnt, it could be that some parts are worn out, and you need a replacement controller.
Even if your PS4 controller is working fine, its a good idea to give it a good clean with pressurized air about once a month. This will help prevent any build-up of grime, and make it last longer. Its also good for hygiene!
How To Take Apart And Clean Your Ps4
If youve noticed your PS4 making a lot of noise when playing games, chances are its in need of a clean. Given that your PS4 likely sits in the same spot for long periods of time, its little wonder that dust and grit accumulate both on top of and inside the console.
When that dust and grit enter or obscure the PS4s various ventilation or fan ducts, the fans have to work much harder to cool the CPU and GPU. Thus, your console will start to sound like a jet airplane and eventually might even shut off as a safeguard against critical levels of heat build-up.
Before you go calling up an electronics repair company though, you might find that giving the system a thorough clean will improve its performance markedly. This can all be done by yourself and is relatively straightforward.
However, its worth noting that cleaning your PS4 thoroughly will require you to remove pieces of the hardware and take the console apart. This may void your warranty, so only attempt this if youve had your console for a while and are no longer under warranty.
Read Also: Is Half Life Alyx On Ps4
How To Replace Sticks On Ps4 Gamepad
If youre like most people, youve got a few sticks in your PS4 gamepad that just arent doing the job anymore. After a few weeks or months of use, the old sticks start to go bad and they just dont work as well as they used to.
Its a pretty easy fix and the best part is that you can do it easily and cheaply at home without even going out to buy any new sticks.
The first thing that you need to do if your PS4 sticks are wearing down is to make sure that you are using your PlayStation button pads correctly.
If you are pressing down on a button while you are holding a stick, youre just causing your stick to wear out and eventually break. So make sure that you are pressing all the buttons on the PS4 gamepad correctly and youll never have to worry about it again.
Then, youll want to get a couple of small screws that fit into a slot on the back of your PS4 gamepad. You will need to remove the screws so that you can slip them out.
Once youve got the screws out, take the two long pieces of the sticks and stick them into the slot on the back of your PS4 gamepad.
Make sure that they are tightly wedged into the slots. Once youve done this, take them out from underneath, but make sure that you hold the sticks up so that you can clearly see them.
Take note of how the sticks feel when youre holding them in your hands. If the sticks feel heavy or are breaking, its probably time for a new stick.