Can You Use A Ps3 Controller On A Ps4
The official answer is no. Sony does not allow its users to do so but there are unofficial methods to use a PS3 controller on your new PS4. But there are some downsides to using these methods. Certain games lag as the old technology is less efficient. Also, we see PlayStation 4 has DualShock 4 controller that offers new features like a touchpad, Share and Options buttons. The headphone jack in the PS4 controller is loved by all gamers. The overall design is improved and the range of the controller has also improved drastically.
If you are still certain to use the PS3 controller, you should know it is possible to connect it. We will guide you on how to do it below but before that, we need to answer more questions to the best of your knowledge.
How Do You Fix A Dualshock 4 Drift
How to Fix PS4 Controller Analog Stick Drift
Setting Up A Playstation 4 Controller On The Raspberry Pi
There are a few different ways you can utilize your PlayStation 4 controller with your Raspberry Pi. Some of these are simpler to deal with than others.
Sony USB Wireless Adapter
The Sony USB Wireless Adapter is probably the easiest solution to getting your PS4 controller paired with the Raspberry Pi. Especially since the dongle should be able to work out of the box and pair with any official PS4 Controllers.
Bluetooth is a bit more complicated than just using the official Sony USB Wireless adapter and requires you to have a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, or a USB Bluetooth adapter.
However, this method does not work correctly for every PS4 controller, and you may have to end up utilizing a userspace controller driver called ds4drv to be able to interact with it.
Please note that if you previously set up the SIXAD tool, you will have to uninstall it to use your PS4 controller with the Raspberry Pi.
Using a USB Cable is the easiest way to utilize your PS4 Controller, just plug it in with a Micro USB cable like you would when first connecting your controller to the PS4 itself.
Using the USB connection, the PS4 controller should just work straight off the bat.
Read Also: When Did The Ps4 Came Out
Who Sold More Ps4 Or Xbox One
The PS4 has sold 115.79 million units lifetime, the Switch 88.14 million units, and the Xbox One 50.19 million. The PlayStation 4 outsold the Xbox One by 76,811 units. When you compare monthly sales to a year ago, the Switch is up, while the PS4 and Xbox One are down.
Can a PS5 controller work on a PS3?
Will a PS2 controller work on a PS3? While the PlayStation 3 is able to connect with almost any controller, so long as that controller has a USB connection, the PlayStation 2 DualShock2 controllers do not fall into this category, because they were designed to interface with the PS2s ports.
Can PS4 use PS5 controllers? PS5 Controllers Dont Work on the PlayStation 4
While you can use a DualShock 4 on a PS5 to play PS4 games, you cant use a PS5 controller on a PS4.
Can You Use A Ps3 Controller With A Ps4 Console
The PS3 controller was not designed to work with PS4 games, so some game features might not function properly. For example, PS3 controllers lack the trackpad and share button found on the PS4’s DualShock 4 controller. Nonetheless, you should have no problem using the PS3 controller with the appropriate adapter to play games designed for the PS2 or PS3.
Recommended Reading: What Is Safe Mode On Ps4
Don’t Buy Another Ps4 Controller Use A Ps3 Controller Instead
- Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
PlayStation 3 controllers are not compatible with the PlayStation 4 by default however, with the proper hardware and software, figuring out how to connect a PS3 controller to a PS4 console is pretty straightforward.
These instructions apply exclusively to the official Sony DualShock 3 and SixAxis controllers. Other PS3 controllers may not work with the PS4.
Can You Use Ps3 Controller On Ps4 Console
Lets picture a scenario that after years of playing PS3, you buy a second-hand PS4 console along with its accessories, for example, the DS4 controller, it is all fun and excitement until you get to know that your PS4 controller is not working for some reason, what will be your next move? Most probably, you will try connecting your PS3 controller to your PS4.
Officially, Sony has not designed PS4 consoles to support PS3 or earlier controllers. Indeed, several features of PS4 are not compatible with a PS3 controller, but we have a piece of great news to cherish you, that it is possible to use a PS3 controller on PS4.
Don’t Miss: Cheats Sims 4 Ps4
Using Ps3 Controller On Windows 10 As Xbox Controller
Remember when I said that reWASD is an emulator too? Let’s clear some things up, XInput controllers are more likely to have support in games. However, PS3 controller on PC with Windows 10, 8 or 7 also has a huge potential. When you create a config, you will see the Magic Wand below the image of a controller. Click it once, choose the needed controller, and Apply this configuration. Three clicks, as promised, now PS3 controller is hidden from the system and seen as an Xbox One or Xbox 360. Say again that magic doesn’t exist )
How Do You Get To Menu On Ps4 Without Controller
Also Check: How Much Was The Ps4 When It Came Out
What Controllers Are Compatible With A Ps4
This is not ideal for some gamers but at least there are some PS4 equivalents you can use that will be compatible with your PS4 console.
With that in mind, its a good idea to know what controllers are compatible with a PlayStation 4. That way, you can buy a new controller without having to worry about whether it will work or not.
All first-party Dualshock 4 controllers are compatible with a PS4. In addition to this, some third-party DualShock 4 controllers also work on a PS4 including those from brands like SCUF, Razer, and Hori.
Lets take a look at these controllers in more detail.
Three Pairing Dualshock3 Controller With Cronusmax Plus
- Open Cronus Pro and click Tools
- In Tools menu, select DS3/SixAxis pairing
- Now take the Bluetooth USB adapter that is provided with CronusMax Plus and insert the Bluetooth USB adapter into input port of CronusMax Plus
- You will now see a DS3/SixAxis Bluetooth pairing wizard appear on your computer screen
- In Step 1, click Next to continue
- When the Step 2 of DS3/SixAxis Bluetooth pairing wizard appears on the screen, do the following
- Remove the Bluetooth USB adapter from the CronusMax Plus input port and connect your DualShock3 controller to CronusMax Plus using a mini-USB cable
- The pairing is now complete and the CronusMax Plus has paired the Bluetooth USB adapter with your DualShock3 controller. Click Finish to close window.
- Now you need to disconnect the DualShock3 controller from the CronusMax Plus adapter by unplugging the mini-USB cable that connects them
- You can also remove CronusMax Plus from your computer
Also Check: How To Install Mod Menu Gta 5 Ps4
Configuring Curves And Responsiveness
In case your game requires just limited amount of buttons or has good support for multiple controllers, you may have good results with using xboxdrv to change response curves of the joystick.
Below are the setups I use for Saitek X-55 HOTAS:
$ xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/by-id/usb-Madcatz_Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Throttle_G0000021-event-joystick \ --evdev-no-grab --evdev-absmap 'ABS_#40=x1,ABS_#41=y1,ABS_X=x2,ABS_Y=y2' --device-name 'Hat and throttle' \ --ui-axismap 'x2^cal:-32000:0:32000=,y2^cal:-32000:0:32000=' --silent
this maps the EV_ABS event with id of 40 and 41 , which is the normally inaccessible “mouse pointer” on the throttle, to first gamepad joystick and throttles to second joystick, it also clamps the top and lower ranges as they not always register fully.
A bit more interesting is the setup for the stick:
$ xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/by-id/usb-Madcatz_Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Stick_G0000090-event-joystick \ --evdev-no-grab --evdev-absmap 'ABS_X=x1' --evdev-absmap 'ABS_Y=y1' --device-name 'Joystick' \ --ui-axismap 'x1^cal:-32537:-455:32561=,x1^dead:-900:700:1=,x1^resp:-32768:-21845:-2000:0:2000:21485:32767=' \ --ui-axismap 'y1^cal:-32539:-177:32532=,y1^dead:-700:2500:1=,y1^resp:-32768:-21845:-2000:0:2000:21485:32767=' \ --evdev-absmap 'ABS_RZ=x2' --ui-axismap 'x2^cal:-32000:-100:32000,x2^dead:-1500:1000:1=,x2^resp:-32768:-21845:-2000:0:2000:21485:32767=' \ --silent
Remarks On Using The Sxs Hid Device Mode
- Steam can detect the controller as an actual DualShock 3 and will then remap it into a xbox controller for Steam games
- Requires Steam’s Playstation Configuration Support controller option to be enabled
- Non-Steam games can be launched through Steam by adding them to Steam game list as a local/custom game
- Rumble not supported
Recommended Reading: Sims 4 Remove Quirk Cheat
Two Prepare Cronusmax Plus For Ps4 Console And Dualshock3 Controller Connection
- Use the mini-cable provided to connect the CronuxMax Plus adapter to your PC. Some USB 3.0 ports do not work well with the connector adapter, so we recommend connecting the mini-cable to one of the USB 2.0 port.
- Now launch Cronus PRO software on your computer and click in following order Tools -> Options
- In the Options window, go to Device tab
- In the Output Protocol, select PS4
- In the Configurations section, check mark following options
- Enable remote control of slot on each device
- Automatic DualShock3 Bluetooth pairing
- The device will remember the last active slot when restarted
- In the Speed Up Settings section, check mark following options- Inframe out and 1ms Response
- After you have made recommended settings above, click Close
- In the Options window, go to CMax Plus
- In the CMax Plus configuration section, put a check mark for the option Enable PS4 Partial Crossover support.
Unpair The Ps4 Controller
Before you connect the PS3 controller to your PS4 console, you might need to unpair the PS4 controller that is currently connected at first. Heres how to do that.
Step 1: Connect the PS4 controller to the CronusMax Plus adapter and then connect the adapter to the PS4 console.
Step 2: Turn on PS4 and navigate to Settings> Devices> Bluetooth Devices.
Step 3: Now choose the PS4 controller and choose Forget Device from the right pane.
Step 4: Select OK to confirm the operation.
You May Like: Ps4 Cache
Do Ps4 Controllers Break Easily
Dualshock PS4 controllers are made of good quality and they are pretty durable but brittle. I have been using my Dualshock controller for around 3 years and found it very good. Of course sometimes we may end up getting manufacturing defects, and in such cases we would need the replacement or buy a new controller.
Ps3 And Ps4 Dualshock Controller
The combined USB PS3 and PS4 Dualshock Controller Software allows you to connect either a PS3 or PS4 Dualshock Controller to one of our USB Host Boards and read the analog stick inputs, button presses, accelerometer and touchpad using I2C or serial TTL.
It’s time to give up your RC Transmitter with its limited number and type of controls and use the versatile PS3 or PS4 Game Controllers for your robotics project. With the use of a compatible Bluetooth Dongle you can now connect to your PS3 or PS4 Controller wirelessly using the built-in Bluetooth. This makes using a PS3 or PS4 controller as the basis for your robotics project very easy to implement.
This is a free software download for ourUSB Host Board and USB Host IC’s .To buy – See the USB Host Board and IC product pages for details on pricing and installing this software.
|USB Host IC’s|
This new version of the Playstation software combines our existing PS3 software with the PS4 software into one integrated solution. Easily change from PS3 to PS4 and vice versa without having to upload new software.
- Bluetooth Connection to following controllers
- PS3 Dualshock
Synching with your PS3 Controller
Synching the PS3 controller with the bluetooth dongle only needs to be done once.
Don’t Miss: How To Activate Ps Plus Code
Pairing Your Ps4 Controller Via Bluetoothctl
Please note that if you previously followed our guide on connecting a PS3 controller to your Raspberry Pi via Bluetooth, you will have to follow the next couple of steps. Otherwise, skip to step 2 of this section.
1. The reason for having to remove SIXAD is that it seems to conflict with the PlayStation 4 controllers and does not allow them to pair and function correctly.
To uninstall the sixad package that we compiled and installed in our PS3 section we need to just run the following command on the Raspberry Pi.
sudo dpkg -r sixad
2. Now before we get to set up everything lets make sure our Raspberry Pi is entirely up to date by running the following two commands on it.
sudo apt updatesudo apt upgrade
3. Now lets begin the process of pairing our PS4 controller with our Raspberry Pi. For this guide, we will be using the Bluetooth command line tool.
Run the following command on your Raspberry Pi to start it up.
4. With the bluetoothctl tool now up we need to run the following two commands in it, this we enable the agent and set the agent to the default.
5. Now that we have enabled the agent we can finally start scanning for devices. Switching scan on is crucial as it will show up our controller when we tell it to start syncing.
6. Now is the time to press both your Share button and PS button on your controller at the same time like shown in the diagram below. Hold these till the light on your controller starts flashing.
How To Use A Ps3 Controller On A Pc
This article was written by Jack Lloyd and by wikiHow staff writer, Travis Boylls. Jack Lloyd is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. He has over two years of experience writing and editing technology-related articles. He is technology enthusiast and an English teacher.The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 1,084,583 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to connect a PS3 controller to a Windows PC with the help of the SCP toolkit program.
Read Also: Ps4 Trade In Price Gamestop
Playstation 2 Controller Via Usb Adapter
To fix the button mapping of PS2 dual adapters and mimic the Xbox controller you can run the following command:
# xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/event* \ --evdev-absmap ABS_X=x1,ABS_Y=y1,ABS_RZ=x2,ABS_Z=y2,ABS_HAT0X=dpad_x,ABS_HAT0Y=dpad_y \ --axismap -Y1=Y1,-Y2=Y2 \ --evdev-keymap BTN_TOP=x,BTN_TRIGGER=y,BTN_THUMB2=a,BTN_THUMB=b,BTN_BASE3=back,BTN_BASE4=start,BTN_BASE=lb,BTN_BASE2=rb,BTN_TOP2=lt,BTN_PINKIE=rt,BTN_BASE5=tl,BTN_BASE6=tr \ --mimic-xpad --silent
How To Play With Ps3 Controller On Pc And Use The Fabulous Rewasd Features
With reWASD, you can create the combos of any complexity. Start with something simple to copy-paste the files, end up with a combo with Breaks, Pauses, and use them for quick edits in Desktop applications. Imagine, how easier your life can be with a PS3 controller on PC and reWASD? What about the Toggle and Turbo mappings? Toggle starts firing the mapping after the first click and stops after the second one. Turbo executes the mapping with a customizable pause as long as you hold the button. Both are very powerful, and once you try them, you can never go back )
Don’t Miss: Sims 4 Ps4 Console Cc
How To Connect A Ps3 Controller To A Pc
The PS4 has stolen the spotlight from the PS3, and its not long before PS5 will get all the attention. Thats still no reason to ditch your PS3 console or throw out your controllers quite yet. For gamers who enjoy playing on their PC, you can still get plenty of use out of your PS3 controllers.
Add More Than A 1000 Button Assignments To Ps3 Controller On Pc
It can be hard to fit all the desired mappings you want to use with PS3 controller on PC. You have 25 keys at your disposal, and many games need way more controls. reWASD offers you a lot of features to assign more keys to one controller, and here they are:
- Activators: set Single, Double, Triple and Long press mappings to one key. Assign Start and Release press too, they will execute when the key goes down and then up, responsively.
- Shortcuts: execute a mapping when 2, 3 or 4 buttons are pressed.
- Shift mode: create a Shift layer of mappings, and activate it with a Shift modifier . Add up to 4 Shift layers to each config.
- Slots: Apply up to 4 configs to one PS3 controller at the same time.
Sidenote on Slots, reWASD helps you use PS3 controller on PC in a full swing: Player LEDs can display the Slot that is currently in use.
Also Check: How To Install Mod Menu Gta 5 Ps4
Four Connecting Dualshock3 Controller To Ps4
- Connect the CronusMax Plus into one of the USB ports on your PS4 console.
- After the CronusMax Plus is connected to PS4 console, you should see spinning standby animation in the LED panel of CronusMax Plus
- Now connect the Bluetooth USB adapter to the input port of CronusMax Plus connector
- Switch on the DualShock3 controller by pressing PS button
- After few seconds the LED panel of the CronusMax Plus should go from spinning standby animation to a number . This indicates the DualShock3 is connected to PS4 console and you can enjoy games.
Note- since we have used the PS4 Partial crossover support, the PS4 console will check the controller after every 10 minutes. You will receive a disconnecting and reconnecting messages during the game but dont worry these messages wont interrupt your gaming and the games will run smoothly.