Reset The Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller
Turn off and unplug your PS4.
Locate the small reset button on the back of the controller near the L2 shoulder button.
Use a small tool to push the button inside the tiny hole. Hold the button down for roughly 3-5 seconds.
Connect the controller to the PS4 using a USB cable and press the PS button.
If the light bar turns blue, the controller has paired.
If the controller is unresponsive or is able to connect to a different USB port or another system, please visit the Fix & Replace diagnostic tool to check if your hardware is eligible for an under-warranty repair.
What Happens When The Ps4 Controller Fails
When the PS4 controller begins to malfunction or about to fail, youll get troubles dealing with the PS4 system. A clear sign of PS4 controller defect is when PS4 suddenly freezes/halts during the gameplay. Sometimes it wont freeze, but the PS4 will go very slow, or just behaves eccentrically.
In some cases none of these symptoms will appear, but the PS4 system wont respond to the controllers prompts. You can easily feel that the PS4 controller is not working at all, no matter how many times you press its buttons.
On the other hand, the corrupted PS4 database can also hinder the system from responding to the controllers prompts. In this case, the PS4 controller is healthy and functioning perfectly, but the PS4 system cant properly render the signals coming from the controller due to the corruption in the database.
Lastly, a failing PS4 hard drive can cause the system to not function properly, and thus not responding to the controllers signals. In this case, if youre a savvy/technician, youll have a technical sense and can quickly figure out where the problem is.
How To Factory Reset Ps4 Without Controller
There are a few ways that can help you Factory Reset your PS4 without your controller. These various methods include connecting to an external keyboard, connecting to an external mouse, using a PS4 application, or using a Bluetooth device. These are some effective ways to factory reset without a controller.
|How To Factory Reset PS4 without Controller|
|Method 1: Connect an External Keyboard|
|Method 2: Connect an External Mouse|
|Method 3: Use PS4 Application|
|Method 4: Use Bluetooth Device|
Also Check: Sign In To Ea Servers Madden 17
Try Connecting The Ps4 Controller Elsewhere
At this point, if you haven’t already, you should try connecting the PS4 controller that’s having problems with another device. If you have similar problems on a friend’s PS4, your PC, or a smartphone, then your controller is likely faulty.
It’s also a good idea to try using another PS4 controller with your console, if possible. If you borrow a friend’s DualShock 4 that you know works properly and find that it has issues with your system, something is probably wrong with your PS4’s wireless connectivity.
Fix 6 Update Steam Client
If you are playing games on outdated steam client version then you may face steam not recognizing PS4 controller on PC.
If you have blocked updates and running steam in offline mode then go into online mode and update application. Heres how:
- Open Steam and sign in.
- Select Steam at the upper left.
- Select Go online.
- Select Restart and go online.
- Once in online mode check for any updates and install it.
Related: CS: Go FPS Drop Problem in 2021
You May Like: Hypixel Skyblock Enchanted Bookshelf
Why Is My Ps4 Controller Not Working
Not sure how your DualShockÂ® 4 controller became disconnected? Here are some possible causes, according to our experts:
- The controller was recently paired with another device, like a different PS4 or PC.
- The controller’s battery is dead or nearly out of juice.
- The controller is too far from your PlayStation and is no longer connected via BluetoothÂ®.
- The Micro-USB cable that connects your controller might be faulty or disconnected.
- The controller could have turned off due to the PlayStation’s Power Save settings.
- The PS button on the controller may be malfunctioning or broken.
Turn Off And Charge The Controller
A PS4 controller only typically lasts eight hours on a single charge, but sometimes it can run out of juice much faster. Plug in your controller via its Micro-USB cable, and give it time to restore power. You should also make sure it’s fully off when not in use. Don’t know how to turn off a PS4 controller? It’s easy to do:
From the controller:
Don’t Miss: How To Share Ps Plus With A Friend
S To Reset The Ps4 Dualshock Controllers Without Cable
Next we will show you all the steps you must follow to reset the PS4 DualShock controllers when you have problems to link it with your console wirelessly, which is a very common failure of this type of controllers. It should be noted that this process works for the PS4 slim console and the PS4 pro .
- In the devices menu you have to select the option Bluetooth devices and there you can look at all the controllers and devices that are linked to the PlayStation.
- Now select the device you want to reset or sync again. However this is a bit complicated to guess, in fact you may have to turn on all the controls you have again until you are clear about what it is.
- Once youve found the controller you want to reset, tap on it and press the X button.
- Next you have to press the Options button found on the remote, to open the menu and now select the option that says Forget device. In this way, the controller will be unlinked from your console.
- Now you will have to find a USB cable to re-synchronize the controller with the console, since it is not possible to do it any other way.
Reasons Why Steam Is Not Detecting Your Ps4 Controller
The reasons may vary as to why steam client is not detecting your PS4 controller. However, the most common causes are:
- Steam client glitch: Due to improper controller setup a glitch may occur.
- PS4 controller malfunction: Be it a controller connected via USB cable or Bluetooth a fault may arise in such devices.
- Outdated computer drivers: The outdated drivers required for USB ports or Bluetooth dongles if get corrupted can cause problems.
- Windows Bugs: Sometimes the operating system gets corrupted so make sure that it is a fully updated OS.
- Bluetooth signal interference: If you connect a PS4 controller to your PC via Bluetooth and Steam is not detecting it then it because some other devices using Bluetooth are interfering. Make sure that no other bluetooth device is working around PS4 controller.
Recommended Reading: Mods For Ps4 Gta 5
Why To Restart Ps4 Without A Controller
Lets learn first why do you want to restart your PS4 system without a controller first, which is an exceptional case in fact, because usually PS4 restart is done safely using the controller.
You may want though to learn about the benefits of restarting PS4 and how it fixes many PS4 system issues.
But when the PS4 controller is not working/stopped responding because the PS4 has frozen or the controller itself has malfunctioned, you will need to restart the PS4 without the controller in hope that the PS4 will revive from this bad situation.
Luckily, its very easy to restart PS4 without a controller, just follow the steps illustrated below.
More Ways To Troubleshoot Your Ps4 Controller
If reconnecting or restarting your controller isnt working, there are still a few more options for you to troubleshoot PS4 issues.
Check your USB cable and ports. Plugg the controller in with a different USB cable, or try the other USB port on the console. In order to make sure the PlayStation console itself is not the issue, you should also try connecting it to a different PS4 if you can or connect the PS4 controller to a PC.
Make Sure Its Charged
Check the charge on your controller to be sure it has the battery level to run. To do thato, hold the PlayStation button on the controller to bring up the Quick Menu. At the bottom, you should see a controller icon with the battery level besides it. If the battery level is low, this could cause connectivity issues.
Connect your controller to the PS4 via USB in order to charge it. You should see the light bar turn orange while its charging.
It Could Be Your Wi-Fi
Sometimes, Wi-Fi can cause controller connectivity issues. To check if this is the problem, turn off your Wi-Fi router by unplugging it from the power source before doing the controller reset with the Reset button.
After you reset the PS4 controller, dont turn your Wi-Fi back on, but check thet color of your controllers lights. If it turns blue while the router is off, then you should contact your Internet Service Provider. You can request a different broadcast channel, and once changed you should be able to use your controller with the Wi-Fi on.
You May Like: How To Lag Switch On Xbox One
How To Force Restart The Controller
If you tried to complete the process that we show you in the previous section, but you still cannot synchronize your controller with the PS4 , then do not despair that here we bring you another alternative.
In this case, it is possible that the controller has some kind of failure that prevents it from connecting to the console . To carry out this procedure, you will need to have a paper clip that is very thin but strong.
- The first thing you should do is properly turn off the PS4 console and disconnect it from the power. In addition, you must turn off the internet modem and in this way your remote will not be able to receive any type of signal at the time of restarting it.
- Later you have to look for a hole or slotthat is on the front of the remote.
- Now, you have to take the clip and push it into the small hole and press until you hear a clip. Repeat the process for about 5 times.
- You can also hold it down and count up to 10 seconds to complete the hard reboot of the PlayStation 4 controller.
- Then, reconnectboth the console and the router to the power and proceed to turn them on. You immediately have to connect the PS4 controller to the USB cable and this should have solved the controller synchronization problem.
Dualshock 4 Hardware Fix Options
Like most hardware, DualShock 4 controllers have a one-year warranty. If you bought your PS4 controller within the last year and it’s still not working after all the above tips, you should visit PlayStation’s Fix & Replace page to put in a request for repair on your controller.
Otherwise, you can attempt hardware fixes on your own by opening your controller. But depending on the specific issue, this may be difficult or impossible. We recommend speaking to a local repair technician if you don’t feel comfortable with doing this yourself.
Don’t Miss: How To Refund A Playstation Plus Subscription
How To Fix A Flashing White Ps4 Controller
When your PlayStation or peripherals do things you’ve never seen before, it’s understandable to get worried. The DualShock controller light doesn’t usually flash white. There are two main reasons you might see the flashing white light on your DualShock controller: either the battery is dying, or the controller failed to connect to your PlayStation console. Both these things are fixable. We just need to troubleshoot the problems so you can get back to enjoying your games with the best PS4 controllers available. Here’s how to get started.
How To Put Ps4 In Safe Mode
1. Turn off your console by holding the power button for 3 seconds. After blinking a few times, your PS4 will power off.
2. Press and hold the power button, releasing your finger only after the second beep sound. This should take about 7 seconds.
3. Your PS4 will start in Safe Mode. Make sure your controller is connected to the console, and press the PS button.
You May Like: Gta Mod Menu Xbox One
How Ps4 Safe Mode Works
Once your PS4 has booted in Safe Mode, youll see a few options. Selecting Restart will make your PS4 boot normally , while Change Resolution will force your PS4 to boot up in 480p next time around. If youd like to update your firmware via a USB drive, the internet, or a disc, select Update System Software.
Restore Default settings will put your PS4 back to its factory settings yet keep your data, while Rebuild Database will scan the drive and essentially re-index its contents. Initialize PS4 is by far the most drastic action, as this will wipe ALL of your data from the console and essentially roll it back to the day you took it out of the box.
Safe Mode is beneficial if your device has an issue during an update. Rebooting your PS4 in Safe Mode should allow you to proceed, but it doesnt always work that way.
What Happens When You Reset Your Ps4 Controller
Resetting a DualShock 4 controller usually fixes minor connection bugs and glitches that may prevent you from using the controller with the console.
At other times, a reset may be a necessary troubleshooting step for major issues like PS4 controller flashing white issue.
Read Also: Setting Ps4 As Primary
How To Soft Reset Your Ps4 Controller
To complete this type of reset, you’ll need a second, working DualShock 4 controller to navigate the following steps.
How To Reset Your Ps4 Controller
A “soft reset” generally refers to turning a computer or device off and then on again, which flushes out memory and can correct many issues. In doing a PS4 controller soft reset, we’ll also reset the connection between the controller and the console. However, you can only do this if you have a second PS4 controller. If you don’t have an extra controller, skip ahead to the directions on performing a hard reset.
Log in with your second controller and navigate to the Settings in the PS4’s top menu. This is the option that looks like a suitcase.
Choose Devices from the drop-down menu.
Select Bluetooth Devices.
You should see your PS4 controller listed. Because you are using the working controller to navigate the menu, select the inactive one.
The PS4 controller with a green dot is the active controller and the PS4 controller without the green dot is the inactive one.
Press the Options button on your controller, found to the right of the touchpad. This will bring up a new menu.
Select Forget Device.
Now that we’ve forgotten the malfunctioning DualShock 4 controller, we want to power down the PS4. You can do this by holding down the PS4 button on your controller, navigating to Power in the menu and choosing Turn off PS4.
Connect your misbehaving DualShock 4 controller to the PS4 using a USB cable.
Turn on the PS4 and wait for it to boot up.
Recommended Reading: How Many Books For Max Enchantment
Ps4 Touch Pad Isn’t Working
If the touch pad isn’t working, try disconnecting and unpairing the controller for a few minutes. If this works, you’re back in play.
If not, the touch pad may need a quick cleanup.
If your controller’s touch pad stops working only during one particular game, it may be a game coding problem, so download the most recent version of the game.
How To Soft Reset Ps4 Controller
Soft reset is a general term used for rebooting a device, be it your PC, phone, tablet, gaming console, etc. Therefore, it is also called soft reset It involves shutting off the device and then turning it back on again. What this does is, closes all open tabs and apps and wipes out temporary memory without any permanent damage to your files.
When doing a PS4 controller soft reset, we re-establish the connection between the console and controller. This can only work if you have a spare controller. Otherwise, go over to hard reset.
Here is a simple step-by-step guide on how to do a soft reset.
Once the device is turned off, these additional steps need to be taken to execute the soft reset.
- Connect your malfunctioning PS4 controller to the PS4 console using a USB cable.
- Turn your device back on and log into your system to test the device.
This process will have worked! Your device should be back to normal now.
Don’t Miss: How To Put Playstation Plus Code On Ps4