What Is Playstation Remote Play
The PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 all include a function called Remote Play that allows them to send their visual and audio output to another machine.
In 2014, it was extended to enable the usage of PlayStation TV, Xperia smartphones and tablets, and PlayStation Now, as well as the PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita. It was then launched on Microsoft Windows PCs and macOS in 2016.
Eventually, Apples iOS and Googles Android operating systems became compatible with this feature, too. In November 2020, soon before the next consoles introduction, support for remote play of PlayStation 5 games to other devices was introduced.
Remote Play does exactly what it says on the tin. It allows you to use your PlayStation console remotely, which can be beneficial in a number of circumstances. For example, if your PlayStation is linked to your living room TV but a family member is using the TV, you can still operate your console but from a PC, tablet or smartphone instead, as long as its on the same WiFi network.
Troubleshooting Ps5 Remote Play
Here are a few things to check if youre unable to connect to your PS5 via Remote Play, as well as how to fix those particular issues:
- Make sure you last logged into your PSN within the last 60 days, or youll need to sign back in to use Remote Play.
- Verify that your PS5 or PS4 console can connect to the internet and that you can access PlayStation Network. To do so, go to your PS5s home screen and then to > > , where you may choose between and . From the function screen on your PS4 console, navigate to and then . Make sure the checkbox for is checked. You may also verify by selecting or from .
- On your Windows PC, Mac, or mobile device, make sure is updated to the most recent version. If it isnt already updated to the newest version, open and follow the on-screen instructions to update the app.
How To Remote Play The Ps5
How do you Remote Play the PS5? Sony’s Remote Play feature allows you to play your PlayStation 5 games on a different device, like a PC, smartphone, and PlayStation 4. This works using streaming technology, bouncing a video signal from your PS5 console over the Internet. As part of our PS5 guide, we’re going to explain how to Remote Play the PS5.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Ps4 Console
Accessing Your Ps4 From Your Ps5
Remote Play sees you streaming your PS4 to your PS5, essentially allowing you to take control of your PS4 console from your shiny new PS5. Remote Play is relatively easy to access but there are some key things to note first.
You need to have both a PS4 and PS5 which are connected to the same wi-fi network, with the latest version of system software installed, as well as a PlayStation Network account. You will also need either a DualSense PS5 controller or a DualShock 4 controller.
However, the most important aspect stipulation for using Remote Play is that you have a decent internet connection. Sony recommends a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps for best performance, it recommends 15 Mbps or greater.
It’s also worth noting you can’t use your PS4 while Remote Playing to it from PS5, but you do need to either leave it on or leave it on Rest Mode .
Prepare Your Mobile Device
To use mobile data for Remote Play, you’ll need to set up your mobile device. Depending on your carrier and network conditions, you might not be able to use mobile data for Remote Play. If your device is connected to Wi-FiÂ®, you’ll continue to use Wi-Fi when you start Remote Play.
- Sign in with the same account that you use for your PS5 console.
- Select at the upper right corner of the screen, and turn on > .
- Select .
- We recommend that you turn on . You’ll be notified each time you start Remote Play using mobile data.
- You can choose the image quality of Remote Play when using mobile data. Select to adjust this setting. Data traffic may vary depending on the video quality you choose.
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Ps4 Fan So Loud
Connect Your Ps5 To Remote Play
Keep in mind that both your PS5 and your Remote Play device must be attached to the same wi-fi connection, and your wi-fi connection must have download and upload speeds of at least 5 mbps in order to maintain a solid stream.
On your PS5, select Settings -> System -> Remote Play, and then make sure Enable Remote Play is turned on. You only need to set this up once, and then you can automatically connect to your PS5 with your device from now on.
What Do I Need
PS Remote Play is a feature available on all PS4 and PS5 consoles. All you need is:
- Your PS5 or PS5 Digital Edition, PS4 or PS4 Pro2 connected to a broadband network.
- A compatible device also connected to your network.
- The free PS Remote Play app.
- A DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller or DualSense wireless controller3 .
- At least 5Mbps internet – we recommend at least 15Mbps for a better experience. If you choose to use a mobile data connection to access Remote Play features, this will use your mobile data allowance. If you exceed your mobile data allowance, you may be charged by your mobile provider.
- A compatible PlayStation game1.
You May Like: How To Get Cc On Sims 4 Ps4
Installing The Remote Play App
Whether you are using an Android or Apple phone or tablet, download the PS Remote Play app. This app will let you attach your PS5 to your device, and will stream the screen to this screen. A tablet is recommended for its bigger screen, but the beauty of Remote Play is that if a phone is more convenient, you can do it! You can also either leave your PS5 DualSense controller connected to the PS5, or attach it to your device via Bluetooth.
Where Can I Download The Remote Play App On Ps5
If you upgraded from a PS4 to a PS5, the PS5 Remote Play app should have been immediately added to the devices dashboard. If for any reason it did not, the PlayStation Store is where youll be able to re-download the app just like you did originally.
Heres how to enable it within your settings:
Next, youll need to install the Remote Play app on your alternative supported devices, which is fairly simple. For example, if you want to download and install the Remote Play app on your PC, youll need to do the following:
Also Check: How To Program Ps4 Remote
How Good Is Ps5 Remote Play
PS5 remote play almost yields the same experience as playing games on the original PS5. Its a great alternative for those who dont have television access and gives much better results than the PS4 remote play.
PS5 remote play surely offers much more than the previous experience on PS4 consoles. The windows client is much more capable and efficient, supporting HDR and scaling up to 1080p for streams.
Since the resolution heavily puts a burden on the internet connection, you need to reduce how many devices are connected to your Wi-Fi.
You can remote play on your PC at 1080p without any hassle, there might be some screen macroblocking and small input delay. But apart from that, the games look quite good.
The PS5 remote play experience also relies on the game youre about to play. Some require more bandwidth, while some demand higher resolutions.
For example, if youre playing Fifa 21, youll rarely experience any lag or input delays in ultimate team
There are other advantages too of using remote play than just playing games. Accessing messages are now extremely easy by just hopping on to your computer instead of sending messages through the PS5 console on-screen keyboard.
If you are confused about how to access and send messages on your PS5 see my handy guide.
This shows that Sony has given all of its efforts to come up with the best possible remote play experience. And theyre constantly trying to make it better.
How To Use Remote Play To Stream To Another Ps5 Or Ps4
If you have multiple PlayStation consoles but all your games are on one of them, you can use Remote Play to stream content between them.
1. Set up Remote Play on the main PS5 you want to stream from using the steps above.
2. On the PS5 or PS4 you want to stream to, open the Remote Play app. If it’s not on the home screen, it might be in the Game Library.
3. Select Start, and then PS5 or Find Your PS5.
4. Sign into your PlayStation Network account and let it search for your main PS5.
5. Once found, select the PS5 that you want to stream from. Your current console will connect to that PS5, and its screen will appear on your display.
Also Check: What Is The Best Ps4 Controller
How To Enable Ps5 Remote Play On Iphone Or Ipad
Again, keep in mind that Remote Play is meant to be used at your home, using the same broadband wired network that is connected to your PlayStation 5. Sony recommends at least a 5Mbps broadband internet connection, though 15Mpbs with a LAN connection is advised for the optimal experience. You cannot use Remote Play with a cell network. And naturally, you’ll need a free PlayStation Network account to login to your account across the devices.
How To Use Dualsense Controller And Dualshock 4 On Apple Iphone
You can play any Remote Play PS5 games on your Apple iPhone using on-screen controls, but if you’re not satisfied with the experience then the alternative is to pair your DualSense controller or DualShock 4 controller to your smartphone.
To do this, follow these steps:
Obviously, you’ll need to ensure that your controller is well charged, but you should now be able to Remote Play using your DualSense or DualShock 4 on your Apple iPhone.
How do you Remote Play your PS5 games, and on which devices? Check out our PS5 guide, and let us know in the comments section below.
- See Also
Read Also: How To Connect A Ps4 To A Laptop
How To Set Up Your Mobile Device For Remote Play
Download the Remote Play app to your Android or iOS device. Be aware that Remote Play uses a lot more data than most video streaming services. So if youre using Remote Play with mobile data, be careful not to exceed your data cap and run up a large phone bill.
Launch PS Remote Play on your mobile device, and then select Sign In to PSN. Use the same account for your PS5 console. Tap the gear icon in the top right to open the Settings menu.
Tap Mobile Data and enable Use Mobile Data.
To track how much data you are using, you can turn on Notify Me When Using Mobile Data. Each time you start Remote Play using mobile data, youll get a notification. You can reduce the image quality to save on mobile data. To do so, select Video Quality for Streaming.
Once everything is set up to your liking, select your console from the homepage to start streaming your games.
How To Control Your Ps4 From Your Ps5
Set up your PS4Before using PS5 Remote Play to access your PS4, you’re going to need to set up your PS4 and enable Remote Play on the console. Here’s how:
- Turn on your PS4 and sign into your PSN account
- From the home screen go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Remote Play Connection Settings’
- Select ‘Enable Remote Play’ and select to toggle Remote Play on
- Next, go to ‘Settings’ and ‘Account Management’
- Select ‘Activate as Your Primary PS4’ and then select ‘Activate’
- To allow for Remote Play in Rest Mode, select ‘Settings’, ‘Power Save Settings’ and then ‘Set Features Available in Rest Mode’.
- From here, select the checkboxes for ‘Stay Connected to the Internet’ and ‘Enable Turning on PS4 from Network’
Remote Play through PS5After those steps, either leave your PS4 on or in Rest Mode . Then take the following steps to access your PS4 from your PS5:
- Turn on your PS5 and log into the account you wish to access games from
- On your PS5, go to ‘Settings’, ‘System’ and then ‘Remote Play’
- Select ‘Enable Remote Play’ and select to toggle Remote Play on
- Go to your Games menu and select the ‘Remote Play’ app
- Your PS5 should then automatically find your PS4 console and allow you to see your PS4 screen
- To disconnect from Remote Play, press the PS button on your DualSense controller to bring up the controller center, then select the Remote Play card and select ‘Close Remote Play’
You May Like: Can You Play Persona 4 On Ps4
Can I Use A Dualsense Controller With Ps5 Remote Play
The DualSense controller is the official controller for Sony’s latest console, the PS5. Sporting a number of improvements over the DualShock 4, the DualSense is in fact compatible with PS5 Remote Play. As such, if you want to stop playing PS5 games on your TV for a time and transfer over to one of your mobile devices, you can do so with the same controller. With that in mind, there are some important caveats.
The DualSense is officially supported on any iOS device with iOS 14.5 or iPadOS 14.5 or later, meaning that it’ll work with PS5 Remote Play on a variety of iPads. So, if you’ve recently picked up one of the best iPads available, you’re good to go. The DualSense is also officially supported on any Android device with Android 12 or later. Naturally, you’ll have to be using Remote Play with your PS5, not a PS4, as the DualSense won’t work with the PS4. The DualSense is also compatible with the PS5) version of PlayStation Remote Play on Windows PC, as well as any Mac using macOS 11.3 or later.
Using your DualSense with your iPhone or iPad isn’t difficult, but you’ll need to go through the steps to connect it wirelessly. By using the DualSense for Remote Play, you’ll also miss out on some of the controller’s more advanced features. The PS5 DualSense uses haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to alter the experience of playing a game, and both of these features are usually disabled when playing through Remote Play.
How To Use Ps5 Remote Play
Follow this guide to stream your favorite PS5 games to your tablet or mobile device
PS5 Remote Play is a feature that lets you play PS5 games on a range of different things – anything from your phone to a tablets, and even the PS4. It’s a way of playing PS5… remotely, as the name suggests. Untethering you physically from the console, leaving little more than a need for an internet connection in its place. However, before you can start playing playing remotely, you have to make sure your PlayStation 5, and whatever you’re planing to play on via PS5 Remote Play, are correctly set up.
Obviously one key thing you’ll need to check is if the device you want to use for PS5 Remote Play has the PS Remote appinstalled. Youll also need a strong, secure Internet connection – ideally with your PS5 and the device you want to remotely play games on sharing the same network this way, youll reduce both network and controller lag as much as possible. It’s a system that’s best used at home to play PS5 games in other parts of the house but with a good connection you could play further away.
Don’t Miss: How To Change Accounts On Ps4
How Ps5 Remote Play Works A Short Guide
The Remote Play option on the PS5 is a great way to operate it without having to be beside it. Lets check out how it works
The PS5 Remote Play app allows you to control your PS5 from alternative devices. This means you can operate your PS5 console as long as it is connected to the same WiFi network as your PS4, PC, or particular mobile device.
This has several advantages, including the ability to utilise your PlayStation 5 as a multimedia provider on your primary living room TV as well as a games console with your high-end PC monitor without having to physically relocate it each time. This is only one of many possibilities presented by this feature.